Friday, November 2, 2012

Day 1 - thankfulness

Last year during the month of November I tried to concentrate every day on something I was thankful for and post it on Facebook. This year I'm going to do the same,in more detail, on my blog so I can go back and look someday. For day one, the first thing that came to mind was the country I'm fortunate enough to be born and live in. I'm thankful for the USA. We just got back from Mexico. A country that Americans love to visit because it's beautiful and cheap. We take for granted when we see so many men, women and children 'harassing' us to buy whatever they are selling. But yet not ONCE did anyone beg for money. I found that ironic. We can go to any major city in the US and find bums sitting there asking for money, with nothing to offer in return. And most people have given to them at some point. But when you go to Mexico, you feel like they are begging, but they are still offering something in return. Even if it is a crappy wooden lizard or something. I hate to admit it, but it's easy to look at these people as lower than us. Why? Just because they were born in a different part of the world, doesn't mean they aren't husbands and fathers or trying to provide for a family member. We live in a country where pretty much any time in history means it's a good place to be. Of course being black, being native american and other races at certain times has been difficult. But for the most part, this is the best place on earth to live. And I was blessed enough to be born here, and have my children be born here. Our worst days in America, are still usually some of the best someone from other certain countries might ever have. At any point, I have access to free, clean water. That in itself is something I take for granted. When I'm quick to complain about sitting in traffic, I should remember I have a warm car that I own and I'm probably on my way to go somewhere enjoyable and safe. When I complain about not having enough money to get nice new things for my house, why do I forget that most people will NEVER own a house or even have their own room to sprawl out in...how do I even have the RIGHT to complain about things like that?? When I complain about not feeling well, how do I so easily forget that I have access to whatever medical care, relief otc drugs, food and help. When I start to wish my husband could be home earlier in the evenings, I forget that he isn't sitting on some dangerous street for 12 hours a day hoping to sell at least $5 of something hoping to feed the family for another day or so. Thank you God for my country and blessing us for another day in it!

No comments:

Post a Comment