Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Turning 30

I turned 30 almost 2 months ago. Of course, only fitting I write about it late. It's funny how it DID actually seem 'old' to turn 30...before I turned 30. You know, when everyone else turned 30, it just sounded super super old right? But then here it was on my doorstep. And I know it's going to be one of those things where I look back and think 'wow, did I really call that OLD?' Yeah, I did. And I also developed a picture of me at the beach when I was 19, and immediately thought how fat I looked. Now looking back, I want to slap my skinny self in the face. All that to say, I really don't feel old. But birthday's aren't just about getting older. In fact, I really could care less if I celebrate my birthday at all. But that number 30 was a perfect excuse (that society puts out as a pivotal number to hit) to do things and see people that I want to see. And honestly, it couldn't have turned out better. And this isn't going to be an entertaining read, more just a document of details that I never want to forget about a milestone birthday:) I'm not a present person. I'm an experience and people/fun times person. One of my best friends from high school, left her kids at home and came out for a few days. She lives in San Diego, and her husbands in the military so they move around a lot. Getting to see her in person is something I don't take for granted. The fact I got to just hang with her for a couple days was awesome. Then one of my grade school girlfriends came out with one of my college roomates. These two drove from Nashville and Indiana. They got in town and we went down to the plaza for dinner, drinks, and some H&M shopping where we met up with my long time girlfriend Laura who now lives in KC. We came back to the house, and Jodi showered me with some blasts from the pasts...she had found some tshirts, and Best Friends bracelets that we gave each other about 25 years ago. Talk about special. Then my brother's fiance, and my good friend, Brittany came over. She gave me one of the sweetest cards (I'm into cards. Greeting cards.), and a bottle of wine that said 'will you be my bridesmaid'. Yep, she asked me to stand by her side while her, and my favorite brother take their life long vows to be husband and wife. What an honor! But that next day, that's where my dream of a fun birthday came in. We went floating down the Elk River. Something I discovered I loved, way back in college. I did it for my bachelorette party, and it turned out perfect. Perfect as soon as you get on the water. The whole leading up to that, is usually frustrating chaos because I'm a bad planner/we get lost/it's raining/I tell everyone wrong directions/coolers break/campsite is full etc. BUT then we get on the water, and it's just bliss. The weather was hot and sunny. But the float was perfect. I was sharing my canoe with my 'bosom friend' as we used to call each other. If you've seen Anne of Green Gables (don't bother renting if you haven't), then you know what I'm talking about. Steph and I even got grounded from spending time together for a period of time after we got caught lying/sneaking around. And that didn't stop us, we'd meet in secret:) Steph and her husband drove a LOOOONG way, left their kids, and even got a flat tire on their very short 9 hour drive(that's without any detours) home. Do you get now that I have the BEST people in my life? So basically, my birthday was amazing. Old friends, new friends that will become old friends because they will be in my life forever, sunshine, outdoors, day-drinking, hot dogs. Oh, and I forgot to mention the cutest 2 year old I have ever seen in my life, sang his mommy Happy Birthday. More than once. And it was the sweetest thing I've ever heard!

No comments:

Post a Comment